Monday 15 October 2012

Rachel's Analysis of "The taken of Pelham 123"


Evaluation of The Taking Of Pelham 123 analysis


Through analysing this film I have learnt some new techniques and conventions of thriller films in general, as well as crime thrillers. Unlike the other films I have analysed this one had a much quicker pace, and contained a lot more action. This made the opening seem very hectic as there were no real pauses.

The use of many fast cuts helped increase the pace of the opening, establishing to the audience that the film will be full of action. Furthermore, I found it interesting that due to the nature of the film, if the director felt it necessary to zoom in, one fluid motion was not used. Instead a series of LS, MS and CU shots were cut together to create a disjointed and jerky scene. Therefore, I have learnt that if it relates to the themes and pace of the rest of the film it would be an interesting and effective technique to use myself.

The music in the opening was upbeat adding to the pace of the film, and didn’t fade in and out when necessary, instead it was just stopped which differs to the other films I have analysed and highlights the difference in pace of the opening of this film.  Furthermore the use of train sound effects was effective because it reinforced the main theme within the film.

The setting and costumes used in the opening all contrasted with one another which reinforces the differences in characters and locations. This technique of contrast and juxtaposition is one I have learnt and may be able to use in my coursework if any of my characters have substantially different personalities. Or, if I want to show juxtaposition through two locations I’m filming in.

Finally the most interesting and effective concept used in this opening were the rectangular blocks that appeared throughout the title sequence. These represented the trains in the film and taught me how you can take the most significant theme in a film and use it in the opening to create effect and add relevant animation. I have also learnt that you can use the  font used for the actors, producers, and directors names to effect. For example, in this opening, the writing seemed as though it was moving even if it was still. This highlighted how continual movement was used throughout the opening giving it a fast pace, and suggesting the film would be action-packed. 


What I've Learnt

One interesting aspect i've learnt from this analysis is how representation can be used in title sequences.
Also the use of non-diegetic sounds sounds are good by setting the tone and also providing pace to the extract. The rapid change of shot is something that also enforces this.


No comments:

Post a Comment